By: Sr. Fidelis
The Feast of the Transfiguration is an important one at the Community of Jesus. Tt is our “Namesake” feast at the Church of the Transfiguration. The actual feast day is August 6th, but it is usually celebrated on the closest Sunday to that date.
The feast was originally celebrated in the East as early as the 4th and 5th centuries, but was not commonly celebrated in the West until the 10th century. In 1456 Pope Callixtus III extended the feast to the Universal Church.
We see this interesting history reflected in the chants for this special feast. Appropriate texts were “borrowed” from other parts of the liturgy, or newly composed, which was the case with the Alleluia, “Candor est lucis”. Using an original tune which dates back to the 9th century, a new text was added to the original notes, with some slight variations to accommodate the text. Listen to this lovely chant, while reading these words from the Book of Wisdom, 7, 26.
He is the brightness of eternal light, the flawless image (or mirror without stain) of God and the best image of the same.